Professional Development program for English Language Teachers from Non-Mainstream Institutes
About Regional English Language Office(RELO):
The Regional English Language Office (RELO), part of the Public Affairs section of the United States Embassy in Pakistan, supports public diplomacy outreach through professional development opportunities for English language teachers and learners throughout Pakistan.
The RELO works through the Public Affairs Sections of the US Embassy and US Consulates to create and implement projects and programs related to English language teaching methodology by providing training opportunities, expertise and materials. The RELO Office in Pakistan is one of 25 such offices around the world and is coordinated by the U.S. Department of State, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the Office of English Language Programs.
In collaboration with the Regional English Language Office at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, PEF is supporting the two-week “Professional Development Program for English Language Teachers” to provide professional development opportunities for 400 Pakistani English Language Teachers (ELTs). The U.S. and Pakistani English Language Specialists will lead the training workshops. The program aims to bolster the English language teaching competencies of teachers in non-mainstream institutes and strengthen English language learning and teaching processes. This program is designed for teachers working with underserved and underprivileged students. The participants in this program will enhance their English language teaching techniques and improve their communication and pedagogical skills.
Strengthen English language teaching and learning in Pakistan by improving the capacity of Pakistani Madrasah educators.
- Madrasah teachers will improve their English language communication skills.
- Madrasah teachers adapt their own curriculum to incorporate lessons, principles, and concepts learned during workshops.
- Madrasah teachers will share what they learned in workshops with English-language teaching professional colleagues, thereby influencing pedagogy in their schools and home communities.
- Madrasah teachers need professional training but mostly madrasah administration lack commitment for such initiatives. More such activities should be done with a robust plan of engaging all stakeholders with effective strategies.
- RELO and PEF should work to improve communications with Pakistani and U.S. trainers for better planning and coordination between them.
- All the forms of the workshop should be in both English and Urdu language so that the participants can easily understand the questions and respond accurately.
- PEF team should work more deliberately with the workshop participants to ensure 100 percent attendances throughout the workshop for all the sessions.